- After such an awful season the Columbus Blue Jackets got a great piece of news today when they were informed by the league that they will be hosting next year’s All-Star Game. Maybe now they can start building a team worthy of having at least one All-Star selection! – Link
- There are some rumors flying around of a mega trade between the Canucks and the Ducks. The trade would have the Ducks sending Corey Perry to Vancouver for Cory Schneider, Mason Raymond and Keith Ballard. Yes, Ducks netmider Jonas Hiller is having a career worst year in net but he still has an above .900 save percentage and not the real problem with the team at this point. If this trade is completed, I would say major win for the Canucks and head scratcher for the Ducks.
- The Chicago Blackhawks certainly got older in the trade for Brendan Morrison but I don’t know if they got any better. The Hawks front office must think that the team needs some leadership on the ice because Morrison isn’t the same player that he was in the early 2000′s. – Link
- On September 15th the current CBA is set to expire and with what has transpired thus far, things are looking like it is going to be a nasty fight. The latest comes from Jason Spezza when he made comments to reporters at the All-Star Media Day Link . It seems like the NHLPA is trying to get out in front of this thing with some posturing but the bottom line is that the NHL cannot afford another work stoppage.
- The NHL Awards will be in Las Vegas again this year. Hopefully they don’t let Jay Mohr come back and we all remember this mess – Link
Frequently outspoken, high-tempered former NHL player and current NBC Sports NHL analyst Mike Milbury has been charged with assaulting a 12-year-old youth hockey player. The incident supposedly occurred during a December 9th game which involved his son’s team (who he helps coach) the Boch Blazers and their opponent the Boston Jr. Blackhawks and stemmed from his son being knocked to the ice by a Blackhawks player.
According to reports Milbury is being charged with: one count of assault and battery on a child, one count of threats to commit a crime, and disorderly conduct.
Mike Milbury’s response via the Boston Globe-
“I want to be clear about a couple of things,’’ said Milbury. “No one was punched, kicked, or assaulted in any way. I know the ‘Mad Mike’ image that I have and all that. I love the game, I’m passionate about it, but I don’t smack kids around. I grabbed the other kid by the sweater to stop a fight and, yeah, I swore at him. That’s it. That’s what I did.
“And . . . this was also after watching my kid get verbally bullied by the other player for over two hours. It was the third time that night that Jake and the kid got into it, and that was the last straw for Jake. I mean, what kid can take that?”
“I am not going to cry over my reaction [on the ice],’’ said Milbury, both glib and forthright in his first comments about the incident, which became public on Friday. “At the same time, I understand the culture and implication and conclusion some would draw from this.’’
You can read more of their exclusive coverage here – link
I have enjoyed Milbury’s oft on air spats with other NBC Sports commentators and felt he was a “fun” part of the NHL on NBC team but he has understandably taken off air until they know the outcome of the charges. Stay Tuned.
For now enjoy a few Milbury highlights..
I don’t find myself enjoying a ton of television shows but 2012 will provide me with a ton of things to watch early on with Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Justified and Walking Dead all airing early in the year. These are a few of the highlights to the 2011 television season:
Last week was full of great games including Boston vs. Pittsburgh, Minnesota vs. San Jose and the 5-4 OT thriller between Philadelphia and Buffalo. Injuries of marquee players continue to plague playoff bound teams and the Wild continue to amaze people with their performance. I said at the beginning of the season that we would have a best of a finals with Detroit vs. Philadelphia but can one of the secondary teams make a mess of things?